Bug in Air

Bug in Air

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Rescheduled With No Date

I thought I would be posting more about Rayleigh's VNS by now but that will have to wait. Unfortunately, her surgery has been pushed back again. It was originally scheduled for November 29th but our secondary insurance had the payment as pending so the hospital had to wait because they need it paid in full before they can operate. So we were given a new date of December 13th. Then, the neurosurgeon's office called this week to tell us that our secondary insurance is now saying that the VNS is not FDA approved for children under 12 years old and they are wanting a lot of "proof" that this is a good idea for Rayleigh. They want copies of her MRIs, EEGs and letters from her neurologist, epileptologist and neurosurgeon. I have no doubt that these letters will get written and sent promptly but I highly doubt they will be read soon.

This time, they have rescheduled us without a date. The office will call us when they hear from our secondary insurance and we will set a date then. The nurse said it will likely be in the New Year.

I don't know why this upsets me as much as it does, but I'm really sad about the whole deal. Maybe its because I'm the kind of person that goes by the calendar, maybe it's because I've always been a little sad when something I've wanted gets puts off but I really think it's because I want this for Bug so bad.

I feel like the quicker she gets the VNS put in, the faster we can
activate it and the faster we can see the results.
 
Like every day matters.
 
 
Really quickly I will let you know that Rayleigh Bug has been on the full dose of the new medicine and has been Lamictal-free for 2 weeks now. She tolerated the transition fairly well (compared to previous medicine/dose changes). She is finally starting to take naps in the middle of the day again - something that stopped when she was taking Lamictal. Bug's seizure frequency and severity has gone down in the last couple of weeks and we aren't seeing any side effects. Well, maybe crankiness but she is also cutting her last molar so it could be attributed to that...
 
 
Rayleigh's been a happier girl these days, even flashing smiles again!! And she seems stronger. I think it's a combination of hard work and putting weight back on again!
 
Photo taken in October 2012
 
She is one tough cookie!

No comments:

Post a Comment